It's July 11 – 7/11 – which means participating 7-Elevens are handing out free 7.11-ounce Slurpees from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Before you go Slurpee-hunting, though, consider the beverage's nutrition facts.
Slurpees (eight ounces):
– Coca-Cola Classic flavor: 65 calories, 18 grams of sugar, 15 milligrams of caffeine
– Dr. Pepper flavor: 150 calories, 41 grams of sugar, 0 milligrams of caffeine
– Fanta Wild Cherry: 66 calories, 18 grams of sugar, 0 milligrams of caffeine
– Piña Colada flavor: 66 calories, 18 grams of sugar, 0 milligrams of caffeine
That's not so bad when you compare it to:
– A Snickers bar, which has 280 calories, 30 grams of sugar and 14 grams of fat;
– A Krispy Kreme glazed yeast doughnut, which has 200 calories, 10 grams of sugar and 12 grams of fat
– An eight-ounce bottle of Coca Cola, which has 100 calories, 27 grams of sugar and 30 milligrams of sodium.
Remember, when the low-calorie, sugar-free Slurpee Lite came out in May, Neal Barnard, a professor of medicine at George Washington University, told USA Today that Slurpees have "zero nutritional value," whether or not they're "lite."
That said, you could do a lot worse. Click here to find the 7-Eleven nearest you – just don't go bigger than the free 7.11-ounce drink you'll get.
Photo by Mandy Jouan via Flickr Creative Commons.